Propel provides innovative insurance solutions to thousands of companies across the country. We make it our business to know your world inside and out.
During winter months, businesses encounter additional threats. Roads and icy walkways, hail damage, freezing pipes and roof collapse are all too common. These hazards bring complications for employees and customers and can be extremely costly.
In fact, an April 2015 Claims Journal post reports that 4 out of 10 small businesses will experience a costly property or general liability claim within the next 10 years. In the first half of 2015 alone, claims caused by natural catastrophes in North America caused overall losses of $12 billion. With statistics like this, awareness and preparation are key.
Here are some ways to prepare your business and reduce the risk of damage caused by winter weather:
- Monitor weather conditions & post appropriate signage
- Inspect building and roof structure regularly for deterioration
- Repair and install protective equipment
- Properly remove ice from sidewalks and parking lots with rock salt or ice melt
- Test generators, portable heaters and other emergency equipment to make sure they are in good working condition
- Clear snow and ice from rooftops and doorways
- Educate employees on how to handle emergency procedures when appropriate
To learn about coverage to help protect your business from winter storm damage, connect with any of us at Propel.
Source: National Centers for Environmental Information (NOAA)